View all 985 Jobs
Job vacancy Project Lawyer
View all 985 Jobs
Project Lawyer Job
Legal Jobs In Kenya.
The project is being implemented in a consortium with GROOTS Kenya, The Collaborative Centre for Gender Development (CCGD), CREAW in partnership with MasterCard Foundation under the COVID-19 Response, Recovery and resilience program, in 10 counties in Kenya namely: Nairobi, Kilifi, Kiambu, Kwale, Mombasa, Busia, Kajiado, Mandera, Kakamega and Tana-river.
The target counties had recorded high cases of COVID 19 infections and by extension increased cases of Gender based violence (GBV) affecting women, girls, young persons and PWD’s. The project objectives are to: Strengthen institutional capacities of state and non-state actors to effectively address GBV during the COVID-19 pandemic and to improve knowledge management of GBV for evidence-based policy development and accountability.
The project expects to achieve four result areas which are
- GBV service providers to have capacity to effectively and efficiently respond to reported GBV cases using the survivor friendly systems/hotlines.
- Public awareness of GBV responses measures promoted among youth, men and women to change behavior, attitude and practice with regard to women and girls rights and take action to prevent GBV
- Evidence and data on GBV to be effectively generated and used to influence and inform institutional response to GBV
- Effective coordination of multi-sectoral response to GBV to be put in place.
The Project Lawyer will report to the Program Coordinator and are responsible to supervise the implementation of all legal activities sites according to the project content and in compliance with CREAW standards and operating procedures. They will provide assistance and technical guidance when needed.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide legal advice to clients: take their briefs, refer distressed clients for counselling and conduct mediation between parties, Prepare pleadings and legal briefs, Court attendance
- Provide legal representation to women and girls before various institutions and platforms including courts of law, police stations, chiefs’ offices and local administrative structures;
- Initiate partnerships and liaise with state functionaries, service providers and academia, primarily in the legal arena, to assist women and girls facing gender based violence and other forms of discrimination;
- Interact with a network of law enforcement authorities, government officials, service providers and activists in the women’s movement;
- Provide legal trainings and prepare training materials for partner organizations and other stakeholders;
- In liaison with the Program officer, prepare quarterly reports of legal cases handled by the Addressing GBV project;
- Prepare, in a timely manner, materials for both internal and external use including reports, action materials, and submissions to be made in different forums;
- Represent the organization in national and international forums as and when appropriate;
- Ensuring timely and regular reporting on the project implementation to the immediate supervisor and the development partners;
- Assigning duties and supervising the legal assistants (court clerks) and ensuring duties are carried out effectively and efficiently;
- Coordination of research under the legal advocacy program and projects; and
- Any other duty that may be assigned from time to time to further the vision and mission of CREAW
Close interaction with the strategic litigation team, the program coordinator, legal officers, case managers and other support staff. The external interactions include but are not limited to Women Rights Organizations, government institutions, Stake holders and suppliers of CREAW.
- A degree in law (masters in law is preferable)
- At least 3 years proven litigation experience in Family law and sexual & gender based violence.
- Fluent in spoken and written English and Swahili.
- Proven writing/ drafting, communication and analytical skills.
- A good understanding of women’s and children’s human rights issues and a commitment to women’s rights.
- Ability to organize, plan and prioritize activities.
- Proven ability to lead a team under program
- Demonstrate skills in computer applications and data entry
- Must have demonstrated interest in women’s rights matters and have a good understanding and appreciation of the plight of the women.
- Working experience in project implementation and evaluation will be highly desirable
- Must be able to work comfortably and effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds and to establish and maintain constructive working relations in multi –cultural environment.
- Ability to organize work and prioritize, commitment, research skills and loyalty.
- Must have excellent oral, presentation and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Have a personal commitment to work as a reliable, honest and trustworthy team member.
- Good judgement, tact, analytical and negotiation skills.
- Have customer relations skills and to deal patiently with all categories of staff.
- Good time management skills and be able to deliver with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work under competing priorities with strict deadlines.
- Ability to handle clients who have sometimes been victims of gender based violence.
- Ability to contribute to the overall objectives, mission and goals of CREAW operations
- Knowledge and understanding of programmatic reporting
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementation of quality assurance plans and systems.
- People Skills: Ability to work both independently and as a team player.
- Integrity: Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to CREAW’s core values.
- Resilience/adaptability and flexibility: Ability to operate effectively under difficult circumstances and to interact effectively with a geographically dispersed multicultural team.
How To Apply
To apply for this job email your details to [email protected]N.B: 1.Dont Miss Out On Your Next Job. Let's Have Your CV. Upload Your CV Here . NB: 2. Advance & Grow In Your Career? . Check Out Best short Courses For You.
Apply for this Job
More Job Vacancies
See all jobs